Sunday, July 17, 2011

More about Cupid



A poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning, from To Flush, My Dog

With my hand upon his head,
Is my benediction said, therefore, and forever.
Blessings on thee, dog of mine,
Pretty collars make thee fine,
Sugared milk make fat thee!
Pleasures wag on in thy tail--
Hands of gentle motion fail
Nevermore, to pat thee!

Yet be blessed to the height
Of all good and all delight
Pervious to thy nature.
Only loved beyond that line,
With a love that answer thine,
Loving fellow-creature!

I found this poem in a very nice book titled Blessing the Animals: Prayers and Ceremonies to Celebrate God's Creatures, Wild and Tame, by Lynn L. Caruso. It really made me think of the relationship I had with Cupid. And the line about 'pretty collars' reminded me of her lovely red leather collar with the hearts on it. With a name like Cupid, I took advantage of the Valentine reference as well as the Christmas/reindeer one. The photo was taken in 2003.




No comments: